RSS

08 Dec

Was it just last week she was begging me for a bedtime story?

“Ready, Dad?”

“You look beautiful, sweetheart. I’m so proud.”

I gave a nod to an usher at the door. The music changed. We could hear Pachelbel’s Canon in D commence. My daughter knew it had always been a favourite of mine.

One last time I walked with my little girl. A tear, a mixture of sadness and joy, came to an eye. Ahead, his face beamed at the sight of her. Soon they would be wed.

I whispered, “I love you more than life.”

Her smile will stay in my memory forever.

Wedding Smile

Schools and students have permission to use this graphic for non-commercial, educational purposes.

Advertisements

6 Comments

Posted by on December 8, 2012 in 2. Saturday Centus

6 responses to “Saturday Centus – Wk#136 – Prompt: Was it just last week… – 105 words – “Her Smile”

1. Ruby Manchanda

December 9, 2012 at 02:14

This is heart touching

• Ross Mannell

December 15, 2012 at 06:40

Thanks for the comment.

I wonder how many parents have felt this way when they see their children grown and taking up a life together?

2. Anonymous

December 30, 2012 at 04:30

Ah.

How perfectly you captured my emotions at my daughters wedding.

When I hear the first notes of Canon, I am always frozen in memory.

Of the memory of her in her white dress…

and the memories of all the time that came before.

Happy New Year, Ross.

• Ross Mannell

December 31, 2012 at 08:32

Thanks for the comment.

Weddings are the making of memories, especially for a parent seeing their child taking another big step in their life’s journey. 🙂

3. Jenny Matlock

December 30, 2012 at 04:31

Happy New Year Ross.

I don’t know if my comments are working so I will post another just in case.

Whenever I hear the first notes of Canon I am transported.

Both to memories of my daughter in her white wedding dress…

…and to all the time that came before that moment.

This was so poignant.

I remember.

• Ross Mannell

December 31, 2012 at 08:35

Thanks for the comment.

Pachelbel’s Canon in D has been a favourite since I first heard it as a teenager. I know why it’s a wedding favourite and why it can invoke memories. In the time of hippies and drugs for the sake of a high, Canon was my high without the need for anything artificial. 🙂